Heinrich Engelhard Steinweg - H.E. Steinway
Heinrich Engelhard Steinweg (1797-1871), the founder of the company Steinway & Sons, built his first piano in 1836 in an old washing-kitchen which he had built into a workshop in Seesen. In 1850 he emigrated to New York with his sons and founded the company Steinway & Sons. Heinrich Engelhard's son William supported the poor in Seesen and donated the park in the east of the town which was named after him. The town fathers in return gave him the freedom of the town in 1888.